Friday 12 September 2014

Desk Essentials and Room Decor Ideas

Decoration has always been a prominent thing in my family and my life. Ever since I was a kid I remember always being excited about coming home, in hopes that my mum and dad had rearranged the living room or my bedroom. It was like having a new house or room, but still with all my favourite things.

Living abroad as an international student makes things a little different. I live in a student apartment that is fully furnished so there isn't much leeway when it comes to furniture, but I've found ways to make it seem and feel more like a home and not just some stake out joint. I spend most of my time at home if I'm not out at uni, grocery shopping (which is common, coles is just too enticing), or sweating it out at the gym.

Also, there is an upcoming 'best presented room' competition that my building is hosting and I'm really hoping I'll win (source of motivation for this post).

There are lots of places on the inter web where you can search for decoration ideas and contrary to popular belief a lot of them are do-it-yourself-able (Is that a word? We'll just go with it).


The place that I probably spend most of my time is: my desk. So I tried to make it as homey as possible, I mean considering the hours I'm putting in doing homework and assignments and uni work, may as well make it an enjoyable space.



On the wall in front of my desk I taped up polaroid pictures, inspiring quotes, postcards that I have collected, my gym timetable and other pictures that make me smile. I used the ever magical washi tape that, if you take a close look to the window sill on the right, you'll see I have quite a collection of. My mom started off this obsession :) I love washi tape because there are thousands of colours, patterns and designs to choose from and the best part? Wait for it: it's not going to ruin your walls. So you can kiss blue tack goodbye because that sucker is a pain to get off walls. Trust me, I speak from experience.
On the shelf above my desk, I just have my hair dryer, camera collection (instax mini and Canon AE-1 film), a wooden 'dream' sign that I painted to give it an ombré look, a wooden sign with a beautiful quote that my boyfriend, Justin, got for me from the states, and the cutest tissue box ever.

A birds-eye view of my desk.

My urban ears, iPad mini, a binder that I DIY'd myself, portable phone charger and some nail polishes. 
Pencil case from H&M, stickers from kikki.k, phone, devotional book, and some sneaky washi tapes.

More pens.

My room also came with a cork board, but the backing of it was green and green isn't exactly my favourite colour so I spruced it up a little with some scrapbook paper from my mom's store, Modern Vintage.
Before

After
I then proceeded to pin up things that make me happy and make it feel more like home.

If you have ever visited my room here in Adelaide, or back home in Penang, you'll know that I've been sticking up pictures on my walls for years now. I love how it instantaneously transforms a bare wall into a piece of art, but at the same time, it serves as a huge photo album/ collage and I don't have to go through old photos to see them.
Again, I taped everything up with my trusty wash tape. The bunting was from a cute store that was closing down near Port Adelaide and the cute pom-pom like garland above my bed was a DIY that I made from LaurDIY. Laur has many many DIY projects that you can totally make easily :) Check the video out here: DIY Garland
Lastly, my bedside table is another thing I love. I've always loved having a little table beside the bed (duh, Sarah, bedside table), that you can put your alarm clock on, or somewhere to place that cup of hot chocolate while you're cuddled up in bed, or just as a storage area for all kinds of paraphernalia.
Some of my favourite books that I have read and other's that I have yet to read, my Snoopy clock from Typo and some hand and body lotion.

Well, that's all from me for now. Feel free to share or leave a comment down below :)

Check back next Friday for another new post. 

Be blessed,
Sarah
x

2 comments:

  1. Inspired by your blog. And your Deco was AMAZING!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely decor! i need to be as neat as you!

    ReplyDelete