Monday 27 October 2014

Recipe | Super Smoothie

Hello you! Happy Monday! Hope you're having an excellent start to the week! :)

As some of you might know, I am currently pursuing a Bachelor's degree in Nutrition and Food Sciences (more nutrition than food science, though, if you ask me). Doing this degree does make me question the things I eat sometimes *cough* KFC *cough* McDonald's--in my defence I live right above KFC (probably not the best idea), but it has definitely made me try and eat a somewhat healthy diet (for fear of being judged). But honestly, I believe in everything in moderation. If you've been craving those KFC wicked wings, have them, just not every day. 

One of my favourite things to do is to make smoothies. There's something extremely satisfying about throwing whatever you've got in the fridge into your blender, whirring it up, and voila a nice refreshing drink/snack. Some days smoothies count as breakfast for me. I've never been a big breakfast eater, but smoothies help get the engine up and running. 

 Top 10 Benefits of Smoothies:
1. Smoothies are a great way of getting your vitamins and minerals in. Fruits are filled with all kinds of vitamins: citrus fruits are hold a lot of vitamin C, bananas are packed with potassium, berries are antioxidant power houses. 
2. It's true that eating the fruit itself gives you more fibre, but you can still get lots of fibre from smoothies. 
3. Quick and easy (hassle free).
4. Good way to get kids to eat fruits and veggies.
5. Depending on the ingredients you put in your smoothie, it can act as a detoxifying drink.
6. Aids in muscle repair and rebuilding post workout.
7. Strengthens your immune system.
8. Gives you energy to go through the day (healthier than a shot of coffee).
9. Helps to give your brain a boost, improving your mental clarity, focus, and memory.
10. It's fun!

Today I'm going to be sharing with you one of my favourite smoothie recipe's. I call this one the Super Smoothie because it is packed to the brim with vitamins, protein, and other minerals. 
You can use any kind of fruits that you like/ have. Tweak this recipe to your liking, I just used whatever I had in my fridge. Wash and cut up your fruits.

I used a quarter of a rockmelon, a handful of blueberries, 5 strawberries, and 1 ripe banana

1. Rockmelon: full of vitamin C and potassium
2. Blueberries: full of antioxidants, vitamin K, vitamin C, and manganese
3. Strawberries: antioxidant-promoting, vitamin C and manganese
4. Banana: contain essential B group vitamins thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, pantothetic acid, folate and vitamin B6. Also a good source of potassium

*Option: add greens like baby spinach or kale for a green smoothie with extra oomph 
I used Greek yoghurt for this smoothie because Greek yoghurt is an excellent source of protein (more than regular yoghurt). This particular yoghurt packs 10.2g of protein in every 100g. You don't necessarily have to use Greek yoghurt, any other vanilla/fruit flavoured yoghurt will do just as well :) Use whichever yoghurt you prefer to tailor this smoothie to your own taste, it may take a few trials before you get the perfect smoothie for you. 

In this recipe I used coconut water instead of just regular water because it is packed with electrolytes and helps in hydrating your body more so than water does (not that water isn't good, it's excellent). 

*Option: I used my Superfood Kale powder for extra antioxidants, calcium, and phytonutrients. You can leave this out :)
Of course, you're going to need a blender for this. If you really enjoy making smoothie's I would recommend to invest in a nice blender.  

Place your fruits into the blender
Add coconut water. I don't have an exact measurement I go by. Start with a little bit because it's easier to add more than to take out. 
*Option: Here is where you would add your superfood powder or any other kind of powder supplement that you want to.
Add your Greek yoghurt. I used 3 tablespoons, you can add more or less depending on the smoothie consistency you're looking for. 
Blend. Once nicely blended add a handful of ice for that extra crunch, pour into a mason jar for extra hipster-ey vibes and voila! There you have it, your very own super smoothie. 
Add a straw and some berries for garnish and enjoy your smoothie that not only tastes good, but it's packed full of good for you vitamins.

Hope you guys enjoyed this different type of blog post. I was thinking of perhaps doing a recipe a month or something. Let me know if there is any recipe's or any other kind of blog post's that you would like to see :)

Be blessed
Sarah
x


Blender: Kambrook Power Drive Blender
Photos taken with: iPhone 5 
And edited using: VSCOcam

No comments:

Post a Comment